The feast of St. Valentine is celebrated on February 14th. It began as a feast day for early Christians, but by the 15th century it evolved into an occasion to express love. Valentine's Day today is the second most celebrated holiday around the world. Symbols related to Valentine's Day are hearts, cards, flowers, candies, cupid, and doves.
Within the education setting, holiday themes such as Valentine's Day can be used to help interest young learners in specific learning activities. Here are some Valentine's Day activities for young or special needs students.
- The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose Story: Create learning games, sequence cards, and other activitries based on this and other popular Valentine's Day books.
- Match the Hearts: Place upper-case letters on one side of a heart and lower-case letters on the other side of the heart. Students can match the upper and lower case letters together.
- Valentine Matching Games: Match pictures of Valentines symbols and their words.
- Valentine Word Wall Words: Create word wall words related to Valentine day. You may Include words related to symbols (heart, cupid), social skills (share, care, help, give), history (holiday, St. Valentine), or vocabulary (kindness, distribute, offer, valentine).
- Semantic Map - Create a Semantic Map of Valentines Day ideas and display in the writing center. Students can use the ideas to write their own valentine themed story. Free Sample of a Valentine Semantic Map
- Share Valentines: Students sign their name on their valentines cards (and write a message if they'd like). Have students read their classmates names and sort into mailboxes.
- Writing Pages - Create writing pages with Valentines clip art. Add multiple pictures to help prompt ideas or sequence of their writing.
- Books & Stories about Valentines
Early Math and Science
- Number Puzzles - Create Number Puzzle Cards using Valentine symbols
- Graphing Valentine Candies - Give each students a box of candy hearts and a heart graph page. Have the students sort their candies on the graph and count the number of each color of candy hearts. Compare student graphs and combine into a class graph. Free Sample Here
- Sorting - Sort Heart Stickers on a sorting sheet: red, purple, pink, and yellow, or big, medium, and little.
- Clothespin Cards - Students can count the number of pictures on a card and place a clothespin on the corresponding number.
- Calendar Cards - Make Valentine-themed cards in a pattern for classroom calendar math. (So easy to create with Lessonpix - just pick your pictures and the wizard will make the pattern with dates- love it!!)
Motor and Sensory
- Art Projects - There are SO many art projects related to Valentines. Cutting out hearts, painting, coloring, tracing stencils, stickers, shaving cream, gluing, watercolors, tissue paper, .... all of the art projects related to Valentines foster fime motor development in young children.
- Lacing Cards - Create lacing cards based on our feeling valentines hearts. As students lace, talk about the different feelings and possible causes. Free Sample of Heart Lacing Cards
- Use Valentine stamps.
- Hide small heart buttons, heart rings, and jewels in a Valentine sensory box.
- Coloring Sheets - Create Valentine Theme Coloring Sheets
- Using Cutting Shapes on LessonPix, select pictures related to Valentines. Have the students cut out the shapes. Glue their shape on a similar shaped contruction paper (make it a little larger). Then the students can decorate around their the picture and write a message on the back for a homemade Valentine or pin it to their shirt as a treat. Free Sample
For more Valentines ideas, check out our Pinterest site, under spring ideas. (Yes, we know Valentines is in the winter, but it becomes buried under Christmas. It is almost in the spring... if the Groundhog says so!)
*** Of Course... You could buy a set of ready-to-print Valentines Themed activities for a small fee at many websites online. However with Lessonpix, you can create these materials and many more to correspond with any theme. The same ideas will work with St. Patricks Day, Easter, presidents, fairy tale stories, speech therapy, transportation theme, .... whatever you need! And all for onlyone cost - $36.00 a year.